Our upside down pizza is a fun new twist on a regular pizza. Refrigerated biscuits, sausage, pepperoni, and cheese make this dish the perfect comfort food and your next weeknight favorite.
I’m going to pretend it’s not snowing outside: eventually we’ll have spring weather. right?!? I know the groundhog said 6 more weeks of winter, but he really teased us this year. We’d have weeks where I’d send my kids to school in shorts, then a terrible wind storm, and now freezing rain/snow mixed. It has been an odd season, but if one thing is certain, I’m definitely ready for warm weather, barbecues, and being with friends after we come out of hibernation. One thing is constant in our house: no matter what the weather, upside down pizza is always a hit.
This dish is a family favorite. we enjoy it year round, but something about this cold snowy day makes me want it even more. I learned how to make this pizza shortly after getting married. It’s been a staple ever since. It was one of the first dishes that I didn’t have to beg my kids to eat and I can always count on them getting seconds. Another great part of this meal is that the kids love to help cook it! They’re expert biscuit smashers, pepperoni layers, and cheese sprinklers. We hope your family enjoys this dish as much as ours does.
This post contains affiliate links for products I love.
Brown Italian sausage in a large oven proof skillet, preferably a .
Pour jar of marinara on top of the Italian sausage and mix to combine. You can even add a splash of red wine to your sauce for added flavor. Be sure to cook for 2 min to let the alcohol burn off.
Spread out your meat mixture so it covers the bottom of your in an even layer.
Time to get the kids to do the rest of the work. Sit back and enjoy you’re opened bottle of wine. 😉
Have your kids put a layer of pepperoni on top of the meat mixture. Continue until the skillet is covered in Pepperoni.
top with 8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Open tube of biscuits. Flatten each biscuit by hand. My son loves this part.
Top with biscuits, bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 8oz jar marinara pizza sauce
- 1 package pepperoni
- 1 8oz package Mozzarella
- 1 tube refrigerated biscuits. (8 biscuits)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage in a 12 inch oven proof skillet.
- Pour in jar of marinara sauce, mix till combined.
- Flatten out meat mixture to an even layer.
- Top with pepperoni, till dish is covered.
- Sprinkle cheese over pepperoni.
- Flatten each biscuit and place on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 min or until biscuits start to turn a golden color.
- Experiment, and add your favorite pizza toppings. 🙂 We're a sausage and pepperoni family here.